Wednesday, January 22, 2014

It's The Little Things

So much has been going on around here lately! I feel like we've been running like crazy since the year turned!
Let's see..
2014 started.
Brandon turned 30! (i hope to blog more about that later)
We lost a passport then frantically found it!
Brandon and I got to go to Mexico! (again.. more to come later)
We spent $600 at Costco.. What!? how does that happen!?

It's just been crazy!

But through all the craziness and big fun events so many fun little things have been happening that really make life as wonderful as it is. So before I forget, here's a few of the little things I hope to always remember.

Scarlet is getting to be SUCH a bigger handful everyday. Just when I think I've got her figured out, she surprises me with newly started tantrums or straight up ignoring me to coming up with the craziest things that just make my day.

Last night at dinner we were actually pretty exhausted so we just had some takeout from Arby's, Scarlet kept saying she was full, which I believed because we'd had such a big lunch. We have an organizer thing on the back of our pantry door that holds a bunch of different treats, and for some really silly reason has a bunch of random candies in the holder just Scarlet's height. (We really need to change that.) Anyway, all the sudden Scarlet comes running into the kitchen with a Laffy Taffy and so unbelievably excitedly shouts out, "Mommy! Will you please open this for me!!?"
Super ready for a battle, as nice as I can muster reply, "Oh, Sorry Sweetie, you need to have two more bites of chicken first."
All the sudden, Scar, without hesitation turns in place, and runs right back to the pocket the candy came from and just as excitedly says, "bye-bye candy!!"
Haha! Brandon and I just started laughing SO hard! It was the most hilarious, and well received response we've ever gotten! It was awesome!
In hopes that I could persuade her to eat a little more dinner before cleaning it up for the night, I asked if she wanted a couple more bites of chicken so she could have that piece of candy and she just said, "No! It's okay! I'm good!"
Such a crazy girl. I'm kinda glad it was just take-out chicken or I may have been a little more offended that she wouldn't even think about having another bite for a piece of one of her favorite candies. :)
She also loves "the candies that come out of Punzel's head" (Pez) ... hopefully that doesn't cause problems later.
Today we were in the kitchen, and because we're still without a kitchen table, we have Scarlet hang out on the lower part of our island, she definitely can't get down without help and is really good to stay far away from the edges.
While we were hanging out, she was coloring and I was making a little treat for my friend for her birthday. Scarlet really wanted some, but I told her she needed to be patient, and that it wasn't ready yet. Less then two seconds later, she asked again, and I reminder her she needed to be patient to which she started whining and crying. I reminded her that we can't cry to get what we want and that she needed to use big girl words if she needed something, which, always goes over so well.. She immediately let out a very frustrated growl sound and said, "I need to go to timeout mommy!"
Me being super surprised because she had actually handled that comment rather well compared to the past said, "Why?"
To which Scarlet nonchalantly replied, "Because I wanted to hit you."
I'm pretty certain if she had not been trapped on that island I might have gotten a frustrated *whap* to the knee, but I thought it was the cutest thing ever that she felt she needed to be punished for even thinking about hitting me. So I gave her a huge hug and thanked her for being so patient and not hitting me. She was super confused, but laughed and told me I was so silly.

That, to me, has been the absolute BEST part about having a two-year-old. Suddenly, everyone and everything becomes silly. She's the silliest thing to us, and everything we do to her is ridiculously silly as well, we're always laughing not only at the awesome things she says and does, but her reactions to the seemingly normal things we do. It makes everyday new and fun.

Scar loves music and dancing. She really only has the twirling move down, but boy does she rock it! She especially love dancing with daddy! The other night when he came home, Scarlet ran to the door, so excited like she normally is, but this time she shouted, "YAY!! NOW WE CAN DANCE!!" Which was so funny, because it was the first time I'd heard that desire all day! Haha! Brandon asked, "Scarlet you want to dance?" And she said, "Yeah, dance with me daddy!" It was the sweetest request ever!
Choosing the perfect song is serious business.
Dancing with Daddy from Brandon Orton on Vimeo.
I can see why she prefers dancing with daddy! Haha! I'm definitely not able to spin and lift so well these days. But holy cow is this pregnancy going SO much better then the last! It's also so much more fun! (no offense Scarlet and that pregnancy..haha!) It really is though! One key factor being Scarlet! She is so excited! Especially to tell people about the "baby brother, he's in mommy's tummy" and she'll always lovingly touching my stomach and then want to hug me. It's just the best.

There are also like, really funny triggers with this pregnancy. Some of which are..

  • Doritos commercials and that Duck Dynasty episode where they eat all those donuts. Oh my heck. Just thinking about them creates crazy cravings I may as well indulge now because they DON'T go away!! Haha! I'm definitely open to new yummy donut places! :)
  • The 'Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" song from Frozen, gets my eyes tearing every single time!
  • The smell of Cosmo's kitty litter.. yikes! That is probably the worst smell in the entire world right now.
  • Even mentioning I need to go to the bathroom.. I'll be right back..
  • Pride and Prejudice. It is my relaxation movie. I have the sweetest husband in the world because we've watched it almost every single night for the past 6 months and it hasn't gotten old.. for me.. AT ALL!! Haha! And it works every time! It always helps me relax and fall asleep! I even watch it the afternoons I'm not feeling well all the way through. I've watched it up to 3 times a day. Serious! I love it!
22 Weeks!! I was barely showing with Scarlet at this point!
It's actually been a whole lot of fun seeing how different this pregnancy is from my first one. I don't know if some things are because of the gender difference, or being pregnant different times of the year, or I know more what to expect so I take the necessary steps before a symptom gets out of control, or if it's just because every pregnancy really is just different, but I am just so grateful that it has been! Don't get my wrong, Brandon's still on throw-up auto pilot and somehow manages to have a nice cold compress, a tooth brush prepped, and glass of cold water ready all while rubbing my back and holding my hair back while I'm sick a good couple times a week. (have I mentioned he's the sweetest husband in the world?) Or he'll jump into action when my crazy charlie horses hit that cramp up my calf for days. (I apparently really couldn't do this without him!) And I'm already on my strict Prilosec a day for this dang acid reflex. (Hopefully it stays to only one a day, and hopefully this little man has a gorgeous head of hair, just like his sister!) But I haven't been nearly as miserable! And maybe it's a huge combination of everything stated above. But I haven't missed the crazy swollen ankles, or the constant migraines that would put me out for the night. I've loved being able to wear my ring for the past 4 months, and going on the fun trip to Mexico with my man, and craving healthy foods as opposed to greasy/sugary ones (despite the occasional donuts and doritos, ha!). I know I still have 4 months to go, so I really should knock on wood, but these past few months have been absolutely wonderful, and I am just so grateful that I've been able to enjoy them with my beautiful little family that I love so much! And, I can honestly say, for right now anyway, that I can't wait to have this little guy, and not because I'm done being pregnant (which was a pretty big reason with the first) but because I really can't wait to meet him and see all the perfect silliness he'll add to our already silly, but to me wonderful, little family.

No comments: