Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Surprise, Surprise...

When I was pregnant I was SO surprised by how sick I was, I'd heard of morning sickness.. but my goodness.. this wasn't a slight tummy annoyance. This was full on flu!! I was sssoo sick, and so tired! I'm not talking the, oh man, I shouldn't have stayed up so late tired, it was a it doesn't matter if 1000 angry bees flew into my bed there is no way I'm even thinking about moving a muscle I'd rather DIE tired. Though these unexpected obstacles arose, the REAL bombshell was how EVERYONE knew!!!

WHAT?!?!??!!

Why had the constant puking, unbearable acid reflux, excruciating, wake you up in the middle of the night charlie horses been kept a secret!?!?! I didn't understand!! Before even finishing the description of a new awful symptom to a beloved family member or friend (I won't disclose your identity because I've learned to trust and love you again after such betrayal) I'd already be receiving the sympathetic head nod, or slow closing of the eyes as if reliving the horror through my words. THEY ALL KNEW!! I usually would get a reassuring, not to worry! It'll be worth it! Or.. at the time my favorite, look for the good things.. I remember thinking.. what does that even mean?! After the 9 months, of awfulness, and the beautiful baby that would change my life for absolutely nothing but the better finally arrived. I actually did find out it was worth it, and looking back there really were wonderful miracles and things I enjoyed about being pregnant, weirdly enough. Don't get me wrong, I remember all the awfulness, but I can now see the lord was just preparing me for my absolutely, incredible gift, and was kind, and patient enough with me.. haha.. to leave a couple on the way.

How can you really prepare someone for something like that though. I've since learned that there are just those things in life, that are awful and traumatic and unavoidable. So really there's no use psyching someone you love up over the inevitable, you just have to hope they don't have it as bad as you did, and work on the sympathetic reaction if they do. So like I said, I've learned to still love and trust all those people, and even after pregnancy, now slightly more level headed and not crazied out by all the extra hormones, I'm still having those.. WHAT!! This is a thing!? You've ALL been through it!?! type of moments.

The latest.. Scarlet's nap time.

Scarlet is now 17 months old. I really have NO reason to complain, because up until about a month ago, I had an angelic, perfect, sleep-time baby. After 2 days home from the hospital, she slept through the night. So I had to start waking HER up to eat every 4 hours. After her two week appointment, the doc said she was big enough to sleep through the night if she still could, and she HAS!! Except for the occasional nightmare, and then Sunday morning church, Scarlet has been on a predictable 12 hours at night and 2- 2 hour naps during the day.

Up until a month ago, I had it SO EASY!! So that might be why it seems so hard now. After presenting this struggle to my friends and family, surprise surprise, this is, yet again, normal. The hardest part about this whole transition to one nap thing, is seeing her so sad. Forget about it being the time I used to get ready or attempt to work out, or now having to bail on 90% of plans due to an unexpected meltdown followed by a more then crucial snooze, the really sad part has been all the tears. I think it's been an especially hard transition because of her new molars deciding to make an appearance at the same time, but it has just been so heartbreaking to have our constantly happy, laughing, silly little girl be so tired, frustrated, and sad.

After trying all the tricks and secrets, we're still struggling. But with time it seems to be getting a little better, so hopefully we'll be able to fall back into our blissful sleeping routine again soon.

Until then between the sad cries and tantrums, it's a lot of story times, song singing, and snuggling, which I guess, like the advice I'd gotten before, means it isn't all bad after all. :)

This will usually result in..
this...
which will sometimes result in this.. :(
And almost everyday we've got a bunch of this..
Thank goodness for my monitor! So far it's always her feet banging against the wall, and not her head.
(Oh! And disregard the date, time, and temperature.. that feature seems to be broken. Haha! I wouldn't be able to sleep in that heat either! :))

4 comments:

Laura said...

So sorry! Yep, totally normal. Have you tried moving up what time you put her down for a nap? That helped with my second kid. Just a suggestion - you are her mommy and know her best. :-)

Anonymous said...

The surprises never end, either. Every time I tell my mom about Saige's newest thing, I see that knowing smile or head nod. :)

Scarlet is such a cutie though, and the naptime transition won't last long. You'll find a new rhythm and she'll be back to her happy self!

Kris said...

She is so sweet!

It's probably for the best that we don't warn each other about every little thing, but let me just put this one out there for your dreading pleasure: POTTY TRAINING.

Ugh.

Angie said...

There is good news...each stage has it's up and downs, but they are so much fun when they get past that 'terrible two' stage. Their personality blossoms even more and you fall more in love with them despite the downs. Hugs to you momma...we all sympathize. :) It has a silver lining, I promise!