Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mother's and Father's Day

We had SUCH an amazingly fun first year as parents, and we celebrated our dedicatory days pretty big time.

The Mother's Day Celebration actually started Tuesday, May 8th, when we left for Spokane, Washington to celebrate the anxiously anticipated graduation of our brother-in-law, Jon, from Law School at Gonzaga! AMAZING JOB JON!! We stopped wherever I chose for dinner, Jimmy Johns, MAN that place can make a mean sub. Jammed to some tunes, played a couple of road trip games, and mostly were able to just sit and talk, which is always my favorite part about long drives. Well, as the sun started setting a very tired Scarlet started voicing her frustrations about still being strapped into the back seat. So Brandon and I started singing her some lullabies. After singing quite a few, all having some pretty sick harmonies I might add, good job sweetie!! She finally started to fall asleep. That was when Brandon gave me the most surprising and unimaginable gift ever!!

**Okay quick side note.. So.. While I was pregnant, I'm sure most of you noticed, I got quite HUGE. Like. VERY huge. Every extremity double, almost tripled in size huge. I swear. The swelling was a bit ridiculous. So since month 3 of my pregnancy I no longer fit into my wedding ring. And with it being a tension set ring, we didn't have the option to resize it to my continually puffing finger, but I held onto hope that one day, after the beautiful baby who would prove to be well worth all this discomfort came into the world, I'd be able to fit into that gorgeous ring again. Fast forward a year later and it STILL didn't fit and it wasn't looking good. So we decided to take it to the jeweler and check out our options. After, more and more bad news, we came to the very sad conclusion that I was no longer going to be able to wear my beloved wedding ring. So what to do about it was the next step...

Well, enter in Brandon's amazing gift. He gave me a new wedding ring! With it being my first Mother's Day coupled with it being the year of our 5th anniversary he felt it was appropriate that I have a ring I'm able to wear, and resize if when needed! :) I felt like it was WAY too much and just so unbelievably sweet! And after hearing that he was going to have to prolong buying his dream camera for a little while longer to make up the difference definitely made me amazed at how lucky I was to have married such a loving, compassionate person. Also, he is two for two!! I didn't think I would ever see a ring I loved as much as my engagement ring, but this is just as gorgeous! I love it! And I love you Brandon, so much!

The rest of the week was just spectacular. It was so much fun spending time with my sister, Amy, and her beautiful family as they celebrated this amazing accomplishment in their lives, and it was even more fun knowing we were packing them up to finally come Home!! YAY!!

Scarlet had so much fun with her cousins! She was this happy the WHOLE time! I was amazed at how good she was on the drive there and back! Brandon and I had way more freak outs then she did! :) She was an absolute champ!

We got to ride the Miller Family's FAVORITE carousel!!
Amazingly gorgeous waterfalls at this incredible park next to my sister's house.
Brandon, Scarlet, and I took off a little early so we could get home and settled before the busy work week started on Monday, and we were able to spend the actual Mother's Day with his family. Delicious food, wonderful company, and the guys even put on a basketball show :) out in the most beautiful evening of the year. What a perfect day that was!

The Basketball Show put on by Brandon and Jeremy Orton :)

Enjoying the beautiful evening with family

Every moment of that day I felt so humbled and blessed and so amazed that Heavenly Father would intrust me with such a gorgeous, precious, little girl. And it is still unbelievable to me how much I love her and how perfectly she fits into our little family. I am so humbled by the way Heavenly Father can send so much love in such a little person, because I not only love her more then I could ever express, but my love for Brandon has grown even stronger. And as Scarlet grows so does an even greater respect and admiration for him as a father, husband, friend, and a priesthood holder continually grow as well. Heavenly Father has truly blessed me with my perfect little family.

I really wanted Father's Day to feel even just half as special for Brandon as he made it for me. So I got to work trying to think of the perfect gift. I made a couple of very beginner looking crafts, that he so sweetly and proudly displays on his desk at work. And I took what little I had saved in my fun account and that, coupled with what Brandon had already saved, was just enough to buy his dream camera! I was SO excited to get it for him thinking I'd be all sneaky and crush or dismiss any suggestions Brandon would throw out to get his camera here a little faster. I kinda felt like a brat, but I knew it would be worth the excitement on his face when it got here. I had the perfect plan on how I was going to give it to him, and was finishing up the final details to make it happen when, Tuesday June 12th came along. We were sitting down to dinner and it was day two of my 'trying to play it cool even though I just wanted to brust with the excitement' type of mood. When Brandon casually brought up the Amazon account. I looked at him. And he looked at me. And you could tell he was trying to find the perfect words to break the news when it seemed to just escape him, letting out a very excited 'I'm sorry!' Haha! Who's the brat now! AND who just randomly jumps on to check the tracking on some hard drives!? They get here when they get here!! Just like with the ring though, it was fun to live in the excitement the whole week long. And even though the surprise had been ruined, the excitement on his face was just as I'd imagined when it arrived and he was finally able to open it. :)

The little crafts Scarlet and I made for him

The long awaited, highly coveted, stuff that dreams are made of.. Mark III

Father's Day was such a wonderful day. We started it off with my favorite, and VERY delicious, Baird tradition - waffles and ice cream. It was so cute. When Abbie, my niece, came to the table. You saw her eyes instantly lock onto the ice cream and she leaned over to her mom and a quietly but excitedly asked, 'why is that on the table?' haha! Its true Abbie. Even after 27 years the shock and excitement STILL hasn't worn off!

mmmmm... I already can't wait 'til next year!!

Then we went to church where we got to hear some very wonderful talks and hear the ALWAYS favorite Primary kids sing to their dads! They did such a good job, and I know it's a long time away, but I just can't WAIT for Scarlet to join them! :)

Once 2 o'clock finally rolled around we took off to my parents once again for a Father's Day feast! We had some very delicious steak and salmon and took some very wonderful, very well deserved naps. Straight from there we went to Brandon's brother and sister-in-law's beautiful home. Jer and Stef had just recently fixed up the kitchen and we were all so eager to see all the wonderful progress they'd made. With a Father's Day BBQ grilling outside equipped with the burgers, buns, and strawberry ice cream made from scratch you could tell it was going to be one perfect end to an already perfect day.

For being such a newbie at all of this, he already Dads like a Pro! :)

1 comment:

Amy Miller said...

You two are so cute together! I am so glad that you could join us in all the chaos that is moving. :/ It was so wonderful to have you there. Love you guys.